Virtual events enable you to make connections from
wherever you are:
home, office, library, even if you’re traveling.
During these events, you will be paired with McMaster alumni and/or
students for several short, timed chats (using a browser-based messenger
system) that will allow you to make a connection, exchange contact
information and build your network.
This is a monthly series. Each monthly networking hour will give you the opportunity to connect with fellow grads in your field of work or intended career.
These monthly events will each have a theme as a suggested discussion topic to help get the conversation started. Virtual events are a lot of fun and you'll find that you have plenty to say to fellow McMaster folks!
Virtual Networking Events
Registrants will be paired for conversation based on "chat room" model. When you join the event, you can choose to talk with people in any of several sector-based chat rooms.
Events will resume in Fall 2016.
What do alumni think about virtual networking?
"You don't need a phone or webcam to participate, you just need to login and can chat/network! This is the first month I had the opportunity to participate, and it was way easier than I expected it to be. Great event, and great platform!"
-Rameez Gulam, Class of 2012
"McMaster Alumni hit a home run with the new virtual mentoring event. As a first time participant, I connected with alumni from across North America in the comfort of my own home!
As a young professional trying to navigate the areas of career & personal growth, I had the chance to meet experienced working professionals from a diverse range of roles and industries. They provided a sounding board and helpful advice that propelled me to think a few steps ahead as I figure out the next steps in my life.
Props to McMaster Alumni for bringing networking to the 21st century!"
-Asfand Minhas, Class of 2012
What is virtual networking?
Watch this video for a preview of the experience:
- Tuesday, November 24 - 7 to 9 p.m. EDT (THEME: Multiple themed discussions)
- Wednesday, October 21 - 5 to 7 p.m. EDT (THEME: Mentorship)
- Thursday, September 24 - 6 to 8 p.m. EDT (THEME: How does your job fit into your life?)
- Tuesday, August 25 - 12 to 2 p.m. EDT (THEME: Multiple themed discussions)
- Friday, July 31 - 6 to 8 p.m. EDT (THEME: Multiple themed discussions)
- Tuesday, June 23 - 6 to 8 p.m. EDT (THEME: What is the value of volunteerism & personal interests in your career development?)
- Wednesday, May 27 - 12 to 2 p.m. EDT (THEME: What are your summer plans?)
- Monday, March 16 - 3 to 4 p.m. EST (THEME: What is the best piece of career advice you've received?)
- Thursday, February 26 - 12 to 1 p.m. EST (THEME: What's an underdeveloped area of your career?)
- Tuesday, January 27 - 7 to 8 p.m. EST (THEME: How has your degree helped you unexpectedly?)